Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Almost there!

One of my many favorite movie quotes is from Star Wars .... it's the scene when they are trying to blow up the death star...   Garvin Dreis keeps repeating;  "Almost there.... almost there!".   Well, that's how I feel,  ready to go, lining up my shot.  I just hope Darth Vader isn't on my tail real to blow my ass out of the sky. 
 (BTW-  I had to look up Garvin's name, I'm not THAT, into Star Wars.)   

Well, I've been trying to take care of all of the home stuff before I leave. Making sure there are plenty of air-condition filters, the garage is clean, sort of, and yard stuff.  I still have a few projects to go, like today I'm going to fix the swing, practice, and take WonderWoman to a movie and dinner. 

Yes, I need to practice.  As part of the 50th Anniversary Celebration, we are forming an alumni group to perform twice this summer. I have been able to attend two of the three camps and will participate in both performances.  This experience will be among the highlights of my performing career.  Once again, for me, it's not necessarily the thrill of performing, but everything that is part of the process. Don't get me wrong, performing is the driving factor. We will perform and it will be awesome! But before I quit this installment to go memorize my music I'll leave you with my top ten list of "Why I love my Blue Star Brethren".  Some of these will probably ring true of many drum corps, but this one is mine.

#10.  As a boy from the South I'm learning the proper use of "yep".
#9.    Blue Stars are willing to follow and take instruction.
#8.    What you see is what you get. Blue Stars are no different in public as what they are private.
#7.    Blue Stars STILL leave a place in better shape than when they first find it.
#6.    There WILL be a party involved!
#5.     The way ALL people are accepted.  I am humbled how ALL people are not only welcomed, but allowed and ENCOURAGED to be a valued contributor to the group. This world would be a much better place if everyone could utilize the model the Blue Stars demonstrate on a daily basis. 
#4.    The talent and history of the corps and is members is amazing.
#3.    Octoberfest
#2.    Bluffside
#1.   ROADTRIP!  "I wonder if we still play "wheel roulette"?

No comments:

Post a Comment