Saturday, June 7, 2014

6 Days to Go

I'm sitting here on "The Porch" at the "Ho House" tugging on a Nomad S-307 while enjoying the South Texas breeze. I'm taking a few minutes from my "activities"to begin this blog.  This has been a busy and rewarding weekend with "Pops" being here to visit the fabulous "WonderWoman".  We have had amazing food this week and have enjoyed Jambalaya, Red Beans and Rice, "JalapeƱo Chicken", and steaks.  Tonight I'm going to smoke a brisket overnight because we will observe Father's Day while Pops is in town, and oh yea, me too.

You see, I've have started packing for my "bucket list" summer.  My amazing wife has encouraged me to pursue this as it's has been something I've wanted to to for years. volunteering for the "Blue Stars Drum and Bulge Corps".  Those that know me have know that I was privileged to march with this group in 1978. That experience has impacted my my life in such a way, both personally and professionally, that I've have always wanted to give back.  And as "L" says, "It is time."

This year we, The Blue Stars are celebrating 50 years of FCO, Finus Coronat Opus. The End Crowns The Work. Every last one of my students have heard this in one form or another, such as if we do our best every day, ratings, placement in contests, or results of any kind will take care of itself. But, back to this summer, the Alumni will be putting on two performances, one next Saturday, and the other in July in La Crosse, Wisconsin.  Between the two performances I will be driving a truck for the corps.  I have driven for countless church youth trips in my life so I am very excited to what the next 6 weeks will bring. My personal goal, is to serve humbly and hopefully have the time to have a positive impact on those around around me.

I hope in the blog to share the experience with those of you that are interested and hopefully maintain contact with those I love.  Maybe it will serve as an encouragement to those that have been interested in being a drum corps volunteer.  Don't expect me to comment on performances, teaching, or how the corps is run in a critical manner.  I will not do it. That is not my role, but I do want to share my experiences, if for no other reason, so I will have a record of it.

Ok, back to packing.
#1.  Being diabetic,  I'm really have to plan.
#2.  Being ADHD, being organize makes my brain hurt.
#3.  Blue Stars Alumni are a really fun group.
#4.  I am going to quit smoking cigars ....... for 6 weeks.
#5.  My wife is amazing.
#7.  We are mainly touring the mid-west.
#8.  I have a bazillion things left to do, so I better stop typing now.

I'll figure how to share this.

T.T.F.N.
ROBBIE aka Rowbeho.

No comments:

Post a Comment